The RG2228M is an eight string RG series solid body electric guitar model introduced by Ibanez in mid 2007. It was the company's first mass produced eight string guitar. It was made in Japan by FujiGen
The RG2228 features a basswood body bolted to a maple and wenge 27-inch scale Ultra neck with a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with dot position markers. Components include dual, active EMG humbucking pickups, a double-locking fixed Edge III-8 bridge and Gotoh tuning machines.
Titanium reinforcing rods were added to the neck starting in 2010.
In 2012, Ibanez introduced the RG2228A, which has passive DiMarzio pickups instead of the active EMGs fitted to the standard RG2228. The RG2228M variant which has a maple fretboard followed in 2013. The RG2228 is also the basis for Tosin Abasi's signature TAM100 guitar which debuted in 2013.
The RG2228 was discontinued after 2016.
- 2007 Europe catalog (page 9)
- 2008 North America catalog (page 10)
- 2009 North America catalog (page 7)
- 2010 USA catalog (page 12)
- 2011 Europe catalog (page 10)
- 2012 catalog for North & South America and Oceania (page 20)
- 2013 Europe catalog (page 15)
- 2014 North America catalog (page 11)
- 2015 Europe catalog (page 12)