The JEMJR, also referred to as the JEM Jr., is a solid body electric guitar introduced by Ibanez in 2015. It is a signature model of American guitarist Steve Vai and part of Vai's JEM series. It is produced in Indonesia as the most affordable JEM model.
As with all JEM models the body features Vai's signature monkey grip on the upper body and lion's claw rout behind the tremolo. It has an all-white color pattern, with white body, headstock, pickups, pickguard, fingerboard inlay and knobs.
The JEMJR features a mahogany body bolted to a maple Wizard III neck with a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with Tree of Life vine inlays. Components include Ibanez Quantum pickups mounted in a pickguard with a pair of humbuckers flanking a single-coil, a double locking tremolo bridge and a locking nut.
For 2018 the rosewood fretboard was replaced with jatoba.
Guitar Player said, "the JEM Jr. looks good, plays fast, and is by far the most affordable guitar in the Vai Signature series. It really is an exceptional value for the working-class JEM fan."
The JEMJR represents a revival of sorts of the JEM-JR which was produced between 2002 and 2012.
The JEMJRL is a left-handed version which was introduced in late 2016. The JEMJRSP is a special edition of the JEM Jr. offered in yellow or pink finishes. The RG450DX is essentially the same guitar minus the monkey grip and lion's claw routing and with different fretboard inlays.
- ↑ Kuo, Joyce; 15 Fantastic Electric Guitars Priced Under $800—Tested and Reviewed; Guitar Player magazine; December 5, 2015. Archived here.
- Steve Vai artist page, Ibanez Europe (website), archived from the original November 2017
- 2015 USA catalog (page 10)
- 2017 Europe catalog (page 12)
- JEMJR product page, Ibanez Europe (website), archived from the original November 2017
- 2018 Europe catalog (page 24)
- JEMJR product page, Ibanez USA, archived from the original January 2018